On 31st October 2011, the SSI members launched their Vision 2040 statement – a shared vision of an industry in 2040 which is resilient, socially and environmentally responsible and profitable.
Our vision for a sustainable shipping industry
Shipping plays a critical role in the global economy. Recognising that the challenges of the future demand significant change, SSI members have developed a shared Vision for 2040 – a vision in which sustainability equals success.
We understand that this means:
- changing to a diverse mix of energy sources, using resources more efficiently and responsibly, and dramatically reducing greenhouse gas intensity
- providing safe, healthy and secure work environments so that people want to work in shipping, where they can enjoy rewarding careers and achieve their full potential
- earning the reputation of being a trusted and responsible partner in the communities where we live, work and operate
- developing financial solutions that reward sustainable performance and enable large-scale uptake of innovation, technology, design and operational efficiencies
- transparency and accountability drive performance improvements and enable better, sustainable business decision-making
- proactively contributing to the responsible governance of the oceans.
SSI members share this vision for a sustainable shipping industry. We commit to working towards this in all our own operations and/or activities that involve shipping, and in all our dealings with and support for the shipping industry to make our vision a global reality by 2040.