Membership is welcomed from all leading companies from all sectors of the shipping industry, including:
Ship owners, operators & managers
Charterers and shippers
Shipbuilders, repairers & recycling yards
Banks, ship finance and insurance providers
Marine equipment providers
Ports and port operators
Other marine service providers
Academic and research institutions
Why you should join:
Together we are creating positive, tangible and long lasting change in the industry. As a member you will be working actively with an exclusive group of industry leaders to shape the future of shipping.
You and your organisation will play a key role in promoting the understanding of, and engagement in, strategic sustainability opportunities and addressing the risks for the industry and its stakeholders. The SSI is increasingly becoming the voice for sustainability of the industry.
Membership of the SSI offers you:
- Access to other leaders in the industry, up and down the shipping value chain, in a safe-space for close collaboration and networking
- The value of participating actively in the working group(s) of your choice, helping you solve complex problems you might not be able to address alone
- A deep understanding of future risks and opportunities beyond the usual 3-5 year timeframe
- Opportunities to actively shape the future direction of the shipping industry and its response to the sustainability challenges ahead
- An enhanced reputation as a leader in the industry and association with a high profile, global initiative
- Opportunities, through working group participation, to shape and support practical action aimed at re-defining key elements of the shipping industry
- Support, advice and encouragement from two strong NGOs each with decades of experience which they actively share with the members of SSI
Additional membership benefits:
- Access to experts in sustainability and Future Watch / Blue Sky reporting of important trends and weak signals of change
- Participation in Future Leaders Programs (depending on availability)
- Recognition and profile on SSI website and access to member only content and information
- Continuous improvement and quantifiable shared commitments scheme
- A dedicated and experienced secretariat focused on leveraging your impact and delivering membership value
- Opportunity to set our direction and nominate Directors/Trustees
- Flexible terms with opportunities to claim discounts linked to membership participation
- Priority access to Membership events and webinars
"The SSI initiative is an excellent opportunity for Wärtsilä to contribute towards ensuring that shipping remains in the future as the most sustainable way of transporting goods over long distances. Providing sustainable solutions is the cornerstone of Wärtsilä’s commitment to the shipping industry”. The main benefits for Wärtsilä have been to be with other Shipping Industry Leaders to meet and discuss ways to improve this, For us the collaborative approach in changing the industry and adapt our offerings for achieving the change has been the Key drive."
"Cargill’s ocean transportation business has participated in the Sustainable Shipping Initiative since the early years of its foundation. We have seen the work evolve into focusing on more tangible deliverables and results, and are happy to be participating in the regular progress reporting. The shipping industry has a key role to play in moving sustainability forward, as it has a positive impact on society and the environment and is beneficial for long-term business growth. Within Cargill’s ocean transportation business we have focused on making a strategic community impact wherever we operate, mitigating our environmental impact and also operating our business to the highest ethical standards. We are looking forward to collaborating with the SSI and working together to improve our environmental and societal footprint within the larger shipping industry."
"The China Navigation Company (CNCo) has been a part of the global shipping industry for over 140 years. Our long term commitment is to be a leading provider of sustainable shipping solutions and our customers’ partner of choice. By being a member of the SSI, we are able to work with other industry leaders to contribute to a sustainable shipping industry value chain, especially in our key markets in the Asia Pacific region. In particular, CNCo is part of the working group tasked with creating a model for the sustainable building and disposal of ships. CNCo has been a member of the SSI since its formation in 2011. We are proud to be a part of this sustainability initiative."
China Navigation Company
"The SSI is an outstanding example of the mobilisation of an entire industry sector, shipping. There hasn't been much pressure on this sector in the past, but they've helped shine a spotlight and bring together major players onto one platform. Several years ago, this kind of work was foreign territory. The work SSI is doing is absolutely pioneering."
Guardian Sustainable Business Awards Judges